Wednesday, November 19, 2008

# 7 : Mime Day


I think we ought to have a holiday where no one is allowed to speak for an entire 24 hours. People must dress in black and white, say absolutely nothing, and communicate via extravagent hand gestures. Doesn't that sound like fun?
People wouldn't have to do much to prepare for Mime Day. For two days, they would have to talk much more than usual so as to get all of the chatter out of the way. That way, it won't be as difficult to shut up for 24 hours. There wouldn't be very many decorations, since the idea is to make the holiday as close to a normal day as possible... except that everyone is dressed as a mime.
Everyone would be required BY LAW to participate in this holiday, since it would be silly if only a few people did it. Face paint would be encouraged, but not required, since some people are allergic to face paint. But no one's allergic to mimes, so don't even think about using that as an excuse.
Mimes, much like clowns, are not as appreciated as they ought to be. Everyone seems to hate them, but they're just doing their job/having fun/trying to irritate random people on the sidewalk. They deserve to have their own holiday! And this holiday is an attempt to integrate the solitary mime back into our culture. For too long, they have been getting the short end of the (invisible) stick. It's time for an improvement!

5 comments:

nobody_special said...

mime day is an amazing idea.. im on board!! ^_^

souledout4 said...

I would like to say that clowns are rightfully hated. Clowns want to kill you. And they promote obesity! And they live in storm drains, or so I hear! Their smiles go from ear to ear, literally! What's with that? Haven't you ever seen the hit 90's Nickelodeon TV show, Are You Afraid of the Dark? Clowns will follow you around. And they will try to blow you up into a doggie balloon. Don't take the nose. Punch the clown in the face and run.

Rock fan said...

yea what arbol44 said... i dont really care for the holdiay, unless you won prises or something maybe it would be more excititng then? You writing of description though was good. You met the criteria of the holiday creation perfectly. Good job

Checkers said...

Excuse those up above for dissing your holiday to the max; I personally think it's a great idea. I'm not a fan of clowns, but I'm fine with mimes. This would be one of those holidays that I would go all out for. I'd dress up and participate. I've always thought mimes were cool, although I don't know if I could last the entire day without talking or at least laughing! I would probably end up dressing up and then taping my mouth so that I wouldn't be able to talk even if I wanted to. The only issue I see with this holiday is that it probably wouldn't work if it occured on a school day. It would have to be one of those holidays where either we would get a day off school or it would occur on a weekend. Otherwise, it sounds like great fun. It should be put into the big book of holidays.

souledout4 said...

Maybe I left out star trek because movies with the word "star" in it are REDUNDANT! HA! Why, you ask? Well, err...I have a question for you, too! Is Star Trek a movie or a TV show? I just looked it up on imdb and I guess there's a new Star Trek coming out next year. Hmm. Lovely, lovely...do they ever stop? Not that I mind, cause if I do, I get abducted by clowns.

We'll be seeing you in June! Don't forget your hat!